Thank you and farewell.

The time has come to hang up my bags and zip up purses. Thank you to my customers who have supported my business for almost 2 decades.

I will always remember the first event we attended a private sale at a tennis club close to Stevenage. It was a miserable foggy night and as I loaded my car, I considered staying home, I was so glad I didn’t! Not only were the people huge champions of small businesses like mine. I came home with absolutely no stock at all, just a few empty cardboard boxes.

For a long time we took our wares to Country Living Fairs in London and Scotland; also exhibiting at The Spirit of Christmas Fair for several years. We continued to support many small charity events over the years and met many of wonderful customers. Their feedback was invaluable in broadening our range, especially as we developed our oilcloth products.

We are lucky to have been featured in The Telegraph a number of times and sold the featured product within hours. Other publications include Metro, Good Housekeeping, The Guardian, Woman and Home, Sainsbury’s Magazine, Red, The Daily Express, The Sunday Mirror, The Sunday Times, Woman’s Weekly, Ideal Home, Family Traveller, Bella and The Daily Mail.

I would like to give a shout out for a few of my favourite fellow exhibitors;

Seres Gifts

Owned and managed by Sophie Davis, this company sells unique silver jewellery and luxury silk scarves. She is also pretty knowledgeable about Type 1 Diabetes and managed to get me out of a tricky situation which I hugely appreciated.

Smash Porcelain

This business is owned by Ruth Levy. She is passionate about her products, which are hand painted and very affordable. We have had working alongside Ruth. I’m sure she will miss us!

Mad Lou Publishing

Where do I start? This lady is a hugely talented artist and whenever I see their stand, I buy handfuls of cards. We also are proud owners of one of Lou’s paintings. They have a truly distinctive style and are simply lovely.

Johnny’s Sister

If you are looking for something personalised, you’ll find a treasure trove here. Pretty cushions and smart tins to name just two, certainly a useful place to find some unusual presents for those relatives who have everything!

So there it is. I’ve been so lucky; I’ve had a supportive family and brilliant staff who have worked so hard. The students who came for work experience so long ago. They now have careers and families of their own. We all learnt from one another.

Thank you and farewell!

Comments

1. Janet Morgan says

Dear Julie
    Sorry to hear you are closing your business but just want to say a big thank you for all the travel bags, travel wallets, wash bags and men’s wallets I have bought from you over the years.
    May I send you all my good wishes for the future.
    With best wishes

2. Rita Curry says

Julie this is a sad day but I would imagine your condition has deteriorated. Enjoy your retirement with many good memories. I have always treasured your items, in fact I have used your New Zealand fern bag today, it is different, strong and always admired by all. The leather holdalls have been around the world,,,,,, I can always see them on the carolsel when they come out. I only wish there was more in the sale, everything I am choosing is out of stock. Not to worry, and keep smiling. Rita Curry xx

3. Carol Turner says

So sad to see you go – I have loved every product I have purchased – good luck for your future endeavors.

4. Patti Dothie says

Dear Julie,

So sorry to hear that you are closing your business. You make the most wonderful leather products and the passport holder, coin purse, business card holder and leather key fob I bought from you many years ago are still going strong. I have also enjoyed gifting your products to family and friends. Just wanted to say thank you and wishing you all the best for the future.

Best wishes
    Patti x

5. Clare says

Dear Julie

Thank you so much for years of lovely leather goods and diaries. My neighbour introduced me to your fabulous products back in about 2001, having bought presents from your stand at the Spirit of Christmas . Many friends and relations have benefited from “Julie Slater” Christmas presents over the years, and I have to admit to quite a collection of leather jewellery boxes, credit card holders, make up bags and luggage tags myself!

All the very best for the future.

• Julie says

Eeek 2001, that was eons ago. I often passed your house so delivery was easy.
      Julie

6. Joy Bebbington says

Dear Julie,
    Thank you so much for all the great products I have bought for myself and for presents for family and friends over the years. I enjoyed the friendly ‘at home’ sales you had when you lived in Enfield. I am sorry to see you go and wish you all the best for the future.
    Best wishes
    Joy Bebbington

7. JO SOLAN says

I am sorry that you are giving up but wish you well. I have enjoyed your products over the years and many friends have benefitted.
    I still have and use my beautiful striped travel bag which I won many years ago after describing how I would use it in a competition you ran. I put about all the toys and things I would carry to London for my (then ) young grandsons. You phoned me up and I remember the lovely conversation where my use for the bag had hit a cord with you too.
    I wish you well and hope you and your family have a good future.

8. Anonymous says

Julie you have done so well, I imagine your next venture will also be as successful, take care and keep in touch
    Liz

9. says

Hi Julie
    Wow! I didn’t realise that Lister was your first show all those years ago. So glad it was a sellout and I remember it well.
    Have had lots of your stuff over the years and the quality was always first class. In fact much of it is still going strong!
    Michael and I wish you well in your retirement and I look forward to catching up at our lunch (TBA) soon.
    Kind regards